How to compost at home?
Maintaining your garden beautiful requires a lot of effort and dedication, the best way to keep flowers, grass, and trees in good condition is conserving the soil with enough nutrients and water.
Due to the decomposition of organic products, composting balances the soil pH and regulates its humidity. This fertilizing process takes place naturally when trees drop leaves, flowers, and fruits, which disintegrate in the soil providing nutrients to the roots.
This process can be recreated by composting, which also reinforce eco-friendly practices such as waste sorting, the best thing of all is that it is very simple to do at home.
There are different types of composting, but this one, in particular, is perfect to try it in your garden, in a dry and shady environment, or inside your house, in a wooden or plastic box with openings, so the air can flow through it.
Here are some tips that will help you to make your own composting successfully.
- The bottom layer should be of dry branches or wood, this will provide ventilation and help all components decomposes uniformly.
- The 4 elements you should include in your composting are:
– Green wastes: fruits, vegetables, coffee, or plant residues, as well as cotton and eggshells.
– Dry wastes: tree leaves, cardboard, sawdust, or wood.
– Dirt: this will allow decomposition.
– Water: composting must be moist, so be careful not to put too much water.
- Whether it is in a hole in your garden or in a box, layer the materials alternatively. It is important to cover it with a plastic wrap to keep it warm and moist.
- Stir 1 or 2 times a week to help disintegrate all the components.
- Decomposition takes 1 to 3 months, depending on the quality of the green wastes, you will know it is ready when no materials are recognized among the dirt.
It is important to note that composting shouldn’t generate any bad smell, therefore you shouldn’t add bones, meat, coal, oil, dairy products, animal wastes or any other pruning that contains pesticides or chemical fertilizers.
This is how we maintain green areas in good condition at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, as you can see is really easy, so you are going to make your own composting?