Moonlight bath ritual, know the benefits
Ayurveda, from the Sanskrit “science of life”, is one of the oldest systems of healing on Earth, and offers a vast knowledge about living in alignment with the elements of nature as the source of health. Living by nature’s cycles and perpetual rhythmic influences, is the greatest healer.
This philosophy teaches about the benefits obtained from Moon bathing —or the art of exposing to moonlight—. This celestial body is reflective of the enlivening powers of the sun, without being aggravating.
Taking a Moon bath, particularly between the New moon and the Full moon, is an effective way to soothe and cool excess of heat, anger and imbalances from the body’s system and it is said to be an aid on many disease treatments.
Some of the benefits of this ritual:
- Helpful on hypertension treatment.
- Inflammatory conditions.
- Increases fertility.
- Relieve stress and anxiety.
- Hormonally beneficial for women in particular.
Because moonlight actually reflects sunlight, it too can boost vitamin D levels, and provides us nitric oxide, which is known to help regulate blood flow and reduce blood pressure.
How to Moon bathe:
Silvia Velasco, Manager at SE Spa Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit shares some tips to practice moon bathing at home and get wonderful benefits from it:
Prepare your space with incense. Place some candles around to create a serene atmosphere. Fill a bowl with water, add some basil, honey and rose petals and let it sit by the moonlight for 1 hour. Take a sip of this energy infused water and choose your ritual.
Ritual I | Expose directly to moonlight:
- Lay down on a blanket under the moonlight on an open air space or sitting beside a window exposing the skin to moonlight. You can opt to take a walk under the moonlight. Do this for at least 30 minutes.
- Do a meditation of your preference. You can include clearing thoughts and new intentions during the New Moon phase, or thoughts of gratitude, completion and fruition during the Full Moon phase.
Ritual II | Take a soothing bath
- After sipping from the energy infused water, pour the remaining into a drawn bath.
- Do your meditation.
- Include essential oils on your bath, such as lavender and sandalwood, as they are relaxing and relieve stress.
- Drink a cup of herbal tea and head to bead for a restoring sleep.